Forget Valentine’s Day, it’s all about Shrove Tuesday in my house!
Shrove Tuesday is also known as Pancake Day, Fat Tuesday (nice!) and Mardi Gras (which is French for ‘Fat Tuesday’) and signifies the final day of feasting before Lent begins on Ash Wednesday…phew!
So on that note here are my Top 10 Favourite Pancake Toppings:
- Lemon and Sugar – this has to be one of the most popular choices and is one that never fails to impress. You could mix it up a little by using orange instead of lemon if you so wish.
- Chocolate!!! – this doesn’t need any explanation!! Gooey chocolate spread encased in a warm pancake? Hell yeah!
- Fruit – lets at least try and remain a little healthy! Loading your pancakes with fresh fruit is simply delicious and so filling. Bananas, strawberries and raspberries are winners in my house.
- Ice cream – if you don’t have pancakes as your main meal on Shrove Tuesday you could have them as dessert? Topping them with ice cream is always a nice treat!
- Honey – my children love honey topped pancakes, they are a sticky mess but worth it!
- Bacon and eggs – who said pancakes need to be eaten in the evening? Start Shrove Tuesday with a delicious savoury breakfast.
- Ham, egg and cheese – again this could be eaten for breakfast or as an evening meal.
- Cream cheese and vegetables – my children love this option and it is such an easy way of getting a variety of veg inside their tums. This is such a simple recipe and one that never fails.
- Pizza pancakes – these are delicious! Make your pancakes a little thicker and then add your favourite pizza toppings. This is a slightly less stodgier way of getting that pizza fix!
- Mince meat – trust me on this one! make a bolognaise or chilli tower using pancakes to separate each layer.
Why not impress the family this year by trying something a little different? You could even go all out and invest in a Crepe/ Pancake Maker!
What are your favourite toppings? I would love to hear them, the wackier the better!